Saturday, July 26, 2014

That time I got TMJ while eating soup.

So you know what should not happen when you're eating chicken soup?  I can add two things to the list.  One - a loud cracking, squeaking sound in your jaw.  Two - a sharp, shooting pain in said area.

Apparently, this is TMJ, according to my mother who has TMJ.  So today has been a long day of icing my face because I took a shower after I ate and by the time I got out my cheek looked like I'd had oral surgery.  It doesn't seem to be doing much for the swelling but it's helping the pain in my jawbone.

I've got to retrain my brain, though.  So many bad, scary, weird and random things have happened to me that when something unexpected and painful happens, my brain goes to the worst thing.  Even Mom said she can't blame me for that, but it's not healthy.  This hurts really bad, but it's not the end of the world.

I'm going to stay away from soup for a while, though.

post signature

1 comment:

  1. Oh my! That is actually quite a scary encounter. Are you still having these pains nowadays? If so, I hope you plan to have the checked immediately. Whatever your case is, I hope things are doing better for you now. Take care, Mallory!


    Cynthia Bowers @ Bay Area TMJ and Sleep Center

    ReplyDelete