Sunday, March 8, 2015

I thought it would take longer for this.

Y'all, I know I'm only a month into this job, but I hate retail.

Don't get me wrong: I'm super thankful to have this job (little money is better than no money at all), I like my coworkers, and my managers have been incredibly accommodating. In fact, I kind of wish I wasn't hired as an eventual transfer because even with the commute, I'm happy with the setup there.

But seriously, y'all. I didn't think it would take me this short amount of time to say I hate retail, but it did and I do.

Today sucked. Literally the second I got to my register I had to deal with this old woman who went OFF on me and a guy I asked a question to who was nearby because I couldn't leave to go get her a carton from the back and then he said he didn't think we sold cartons, because we wouldn't just give her the 10 cigarettes of the kind she wanted that were up there, because we were taking too long, and on and on and on. She started insulting my coworker because he didn't know we were allowed to sell cartons and because he brought the wrong carton back at first, and this was the first customer I seriously wanted to slap, elderly woman or no. I tried to calm her down as we waited for my coworker to get back and said something to the effect of "He didn't mean to upset you," and I don't even know what she said at first but the second half of her response was "I can be a very vicious person, you know!" Not even kidding. It took every ounce of will power I had not to retort, "You don't say! I didn't know that before, but you've made that abundantly clear now!" She had said in the beginning, "If you bring back the wrong ones, I'm going to walk out," and when he brought back the wrong ones the first time, she didn't leave, so I also kind of wanted to say, "What happened to that whole you were going to walk out thing?" Even when my coworker returned and profusely apologized for not knowing we could sell her a full carton, she still kept insulting him about how she would leave if she saw him here the next time she came in and she wished this store hired smarter employees (seriously). That was the first truly awful experience I've had working. When she FINALLY left, my coworker and I just looked at each other and sighed a huge sigh of relief.

Then, the rest of the night, we had register and system issues. There are four registers at the front, okay? Well, one of them has been down for about a week, we can't get techs out there to fix it. When I started my shift, one of them was running so slowly no one could use it and keep up with customers because we are steadily busy from before 4 to at least 9:30. (For a small-sized store, it is popular.) Then, the one I was using's scanner died, so we had to reboot its whole system which is a slow process. That leaves ONE REGISTER. And the register is set much lower than the others, which means I couldn't use the chair that I had permission to use because it's set up high like a bar stool.  And then the printer for the larger photos died, just when we were trying to finish an order for a woman who had order a bunch of 8x10s. And the store was SO FREAKING HOT because the temperature was actually in the 40s tonight instead of the 10s and 20s.

All that combined with it was the first day of Daylight Savings, and I actually made it to Bible Study and church this morning, and I got almost no sleep last night because I was an emotional mess, and I was not feeling work at all today.

Needless to say, it didn't take me long to fall asleep this time.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment