Monday, June 22, 2015

Dear future me, never take this for granted.

Growing up in the church that I did with the experiences that I had with the people there, and during the months between my baptism and when I finally decided to try church out again and found Theater Church, I never could have imagined that church would become the most beautiful part of my week or that I would cherish a church community the way that I do now. And while I loved Theater Church and the people I met there, honestly, they don't even hold a candle to my City Grace family and the way they have impacted me this past year. I can't imagine life without them.


This is Leonidas, Isis, and Marcelo. These three came to New York all the way from Brazil and I'm so thankful that I've gotten to know them. It makes me so sad to know they'll be going back to Brazil this summer, but I adore them and we have memories that will stick with us. Like the City Grace retreat. And them singing me Happy Birthday in Portuguese yesterday. :) We're going to make the most of the time we have left, I know that much.


This is Ambrose. We only have really gotten to know each other recently, but since then, he has been such a great support to me. I mentioned a few weeks ago that I have to accept that my friends are here for me and walking with me because they want to, because they love me, not out of pity or anything like that. Ambrose is the perfect example of that here in New York. He asked me how I was doing yesterday after the service, and that turned into a rather long conversation. I apologized for dumping so much on him all at once, and he immediately responded, "No, no, I'm glad I can be here for you to talk to." I don't know if it will ever stop blowing my mind to know that other people consider it an honor and are grateful to be able to walk with me through this difficult story I've been given.

I hope it doesn't. I hope I never get used to it. I hope I never get accustomed to people like Ambrose and the way they refuse to let me go and are constantly available to pull me out of that dark hole when I start slipping. I think one of the greatest gifts you can get in this dark, broken world is to find people who are there for you and are invested in you and your life no matter how bad things get. And I have that now in spades. After I spent so many years incapable of believing that I would find love like this one day, I hope I never get so comfortable that I take it for granted.


Stephen was taking a picture of Steven taking a picture of me and Ambrose, but he also kind of took a picture of me and Ambrose, too. I find it rather trippy.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment